Re: cluster?

From: Jesse Pollard (pollard@tomcat.admin.navo.hpc.mil)
Date: Fri Mar 31 2000 - 10:14:05 EST

"Butter, Frank" <Frank.Butter@otto.de>:
> we need a simple cluster solution for safe ftp.
> that means one single ip-address known to clients and
> two/multiple physical machines behind it as ftp-server.
> it should be fail-safe so that switching off one machine
> doesn't affect the clients.
>
> any suggestions?

How about one of the following:

A. Manual host selection method

1. DNS does the normal round robin broadcast of N IP numbers.
2. Each server has a primary IP - (one from the list of N)
3. Each server has the capability of a second IP number.

When it becomes time to take a system down:
  1. assign the real IP number to one of the other servers
  2. down the network interface on the host being removed.

Work on the down system using a test IP number (not one of N addresses).

When it is tme to bring it back on-line:
   1. remove the IP from the secondary
   2. bring up the server with the proper IP address (one of the N).

B. Router assisted automatic method:

It isn't an "automatic" failover, but depending on N, and a router/switch
it could be:

1. Each server has a primary address (one of N)
2. Each server as secondary addresses reached only via routing from the primary
   address as specified in the host IP configuration.

There is a single step to down a particular system:
1. The router/switch is directed to send the "down" systems IP to another
   server as the "best route to" that IP. This allows the IP to be redirected to
   one of (N-1) systems.

Bringing a system up should also be a one-step - the router/switch is directed
to stop redirecting.

The target system will be doing double duty for a while since it's effective
IP number would show up twice as often as any other.

Technique B requires more hardware (and what happens when the router/switch
fails...) but is the cleanest method for a "single step" procedure.

I haven't done this, but it is my understanding that the router method has
been done elsewhere.