Re: Swap vnode's [was overcommit thread]

From: Rik van Riel (riel@conectiva.com.br)
Date: Fri Mar 31 2000 - 10:32:25 EST

On Thu, 30 Mar 2000, Larry McVoy wrote:

> I've watched this go on (and on and on) and I don't remember
> anyone thinking of this easy solution: just use free disk space
> in any mounted file system as swap over flow. So if you run
> out, create /lost+found/swap-overflow, do a mkswap on it, and
> start allocating swap pages out of there. What's the problem
> with that?

There are several userspace daemons that do exactly this.

The problem is what we do when that fails. That's where
the OOM killer kicks in (and saves the system).

cheers,

Rik

of people. That is its real strength.

Wanna talk about the kernel? irc.openprojects.net / #kernelnewbies http://www.conectiva.com/ http://www.surriel.com/