Re: Time synchronization between two LINUX computer

From: Richard B. Johnson (root@chaos.analogic.com)
Date: Fri Mar 31 2000 - 14:16:40 EST

On Fri, 31 Mar 2000, Peter Svensson wrote:

> On Fri, 31 Mar 2000, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
>
> > If you don't synchronize the clocks of the computers, they will drift
> > apart. This would require continuous SNTP correction, which occurs in
> > steps. These steps might not be acceptable to your applications.
>
> xntpd (the reference implementation of NTP) changes the tick rate of the
> system clock normally. Synchronization on the order of 1ms is easily
> obtainable. If this suffices that is probably the way to go.

I would think so since, for instance, file date/times don't have much
resolution. However, the original inquiry implied microsecond resolution
time-difference between machines.

Incidentally, with 400+ MHz machines, I can edit some source (kept open
in a window), then attempt to compile and `make` doesn't pick up enough
of a time-difference to rebuild! Sometimes I have to `touch` the source
again. I guess, soon, we will need `struct timeval`(s) for the file
time(s).

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

Penguin : Linux version 2.3.41 on an i686 machine (800.63 BogoMips).