Re: [BUG] initrd broken in 2.3.51->99pre3

From: Martin Josefsson (gandalf@wlug.westbo.se)
Date: Fri Mar 31 2000 - 15:43:10 EST

On Fri, 31 Mar 2000, Jeff Noxon wrote:

> I need to get an initial ramdisk working in a recent 2.3.5x or later
> kernel, but they're borken. :) I don't know when the bug first appeared.
>
> In rd.c (rd_open), the following code causes an oops and hangs the boot:
>
> /*
> * Immunize device against invalidate_buffers() and prune_icache().
> */
> if (rd_inode[DEVICE_NR(inode->i_rdev)] == NULL) {
> if((rd_inode[DEVICE_NR(inode->i_rdev)] = igrab(inode)) != NULL)
> atomic_inc(&rd_inode[DEVICE_NR(inode->i_rdev)]->i_bdev->bd_openers);
> }
>
> In the third line, i_bdev is null. Commenting out the code does not fix
> the problem. (Instead I get a kernel panic that VFS cannot mount root
> on 01:00.) The kernel never seems to identify that an initrd exists in
> the first place. I'm using GRUB 0.5.94 to load a cramdisk. It works
> fine with 2.2.14. At the very least, 2.3.51 and onward are broken.

I just wanted to say that I'm building a bootdisk for a router with kernel
2.3.99pre3, I use initrd and it works just fine. the file that I'm using
as initrd is a gzipped minixfilsystem.

But I get a lot of these messages when I mount my file with
minixfilesystem via loopback and write to it.

I also get these when the bootdisk boots.

But the initrd doesn't go OOPS on me at all.

/Martin

--
The three best things about going to school are June, July, and August.