Re: Swap vnode's [was overcommit thread]

From: Stephen C. Tweedie (sct@redhat.com)
Date: Fri Mar 31 2000 - 18:29:40 EST

Hi,

On Sat, Apr 01, 2000 at 12:03:57AM +0100, Matthew Kirkwood wrote:

> I thought that was all done at swapon time? Or can Linux
> now deal with memory allocations while writing to disk?

Absolutely we can allocate memory while writing to disk, and that
includes swapping. After all, device drivers may legitimately want
to allocate control blocks for the IO. We have a PF_MEMALLOC flag
in the per-task flags word which lets us avoid getting into problems
with recursive allocations going on --- we never recurse into the
swapper if we allocate memory while in the swapper already.

Cheers,
 Stephen