Cannot use kernels 2.3.x with Abit BP6 Motherboard

From: Luc Stepniewski (lstep@free.fr)
Date: Sat Apr 01 2000 - 04:56:34 EST

On Fri, 31 Mar 2000, Agus Budy Wuysang wrote:
> Valentijn Sessink wrote:
> > These are the final results on my quest for the BP6 mobo bug. I'm tired
> > of it for a while - so back to real work now ;)
> > On the Abit BP6 motherboard, I can reproduce a hang of the HPT366
> > controller. This is probably a hardware problem; however, it seems a
> > hardware problem for many BP6 motherboards. Hereby find some details. If
> > it's just a silly hangup of the motherboard: too bad. But maybe someone
> > can do something with the information I found.

> According to the abit newsgroup, this is a known hardware flaw with the
> HPT366 controller and the Maxtor drives.

Are IBM HDD made by Maxtor ?

I'm using a BP6 with 2x433 Celeron, with kernel 2.2.14 without any problem.
I'm using a 22Gig IBM HD, on the first two IDE connectors (not UDMA66).
BUT when I try the 2.3.99pre3 kernel, I have some horrible problems :-(

It boots until the login prompt, I enter my login, but It never gives me
a chance to enter my password. It is as if the HD crashed, but there are
no kernel panic or any information of any problem anywhere.

Sometimes it locks before finishing the boot process.

When I reboot with my old kernel (2.2.14), I get a lot of corrupted files,
so it may show the HD has stopped brutally. So I'm locked with my 2.2.14
kernel and cannot upgrade to 2.3.x kernels :-(

Luc Stepniewski <lstep@free.fr>