Re: Hundreds of bugs in 2.3.99-pre3

From: Tim Waugh (tim@cyberelk.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sat Apr 01 2000 - 06:48:20 EST

On Sat, 1 Apr 2000, Manfred Spraul wrote:

> Tim checked all foo_open() functions, AFAICS we must also check all
> unload functions :-(

Actually I check all functions that called MOD_INC_USE_COUNT. (I would
have completely missed functions that should do it but don't.)

> No, this cannot happen: sys_init_module() increases the module count
> before calling module_init().

Yes, and I didn't take that into account when compiling my list, so lots
of cases can be crossed off already. Also, there are plenty of places
where modules pin themselves in forever using an extra MOD_INC_USE_COUNT,
and there may be some other false positives because of that.

I didn't take a very close look at the callers of the functions I listed,
so there may be many more that are safe because the reference count is
held by the caller.

Tim.
*/