Re: Really Simple File System versus raw disk I/O

From: Stephen C. Tweedie (sct@redhat.com)
Date: Sat Apr 01 2000 - 17:28:28 EST

Hi,

On Fri, Mar 31, 2000 at 03:27:48PM -0500, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
> Daniel Phillips suggested to me privately a month or two back that
> there might some general utility in a "raw" filesystem that created a
> single file in a partition, allowed no index, inodes, directories,
> extension, truncation etc. This would be useful for applications that
> need to control disk seeking (such as high end audio applications).

Why?

Seriously, if you create an ext2 filesystem and make one large file
on it, you get something nice and big, allocated in 8MB or larger
contiguous chunks, which you can seek, read and write into at your
leisure. What advantage is there in actually denying the user
extra functionality? There's nothing to _require_ the application
to truncate the big contiguous file if it doesn't need to under
any normal filesystem.

--Stephen