Re: Running 2.3.99-pre3 headless doesn't create tty<n> devices???

From: Ralf G. R. Bergs (rabe@RWTH-Aachen.DE)
Date: Sun Apr 02 2000 - 06:09:53 EST

On Sat, 01 Apr 2000 22:24:20 -0500, willy@thepuffingroup.com wrote:

>On Thu, Mar 30, 2000 at 04:17:11PM +0200, Ralf G. R. Bergs wrote:
>> I've just gone from 2.2.13 to 2.3.99-pre3 with only a few problems. One
>> thing that I noticed AFTER I had re-assembled the box (don't ask whether
>> had to take it apart) and put it back into the closet is that if you run
it
>> headless (i.e. without a keyboard and VGA card and without even a serial
>> console) it doesn't create tty1, tty2, etc. devices, such that my console
>> gettys run amok.
>>
>> I now have temporarily disabled them in inittab, but I'd like to change
the
>> kernel's behavior like it was in 2.2.13. This latter kernel would create
the
>> tty? devices even when there wasn't any (VGA or serial) console
available.

>> How would I accomplish this in 2.3.99-pre3? Any work-around?
>
>don't compile in devfs.

I'm not running devfs.

BTW, I've already tried to clarify what I was talking about in another
message, but you might have missed it.

By "kernel does not create device" I mean that the kernel does not support
the respective device nodes, i.e. the device nodes are "dead" and not backed
by kernel functionality.

--
Sign the EU petition against SPAM:          L I N U X       .~.
http://www.politik-digital.de/spam/        The  Choice      /V\