Re: Linux 2.2.15pre17

From: Alan Modra (alan@linuxcare.com.au)
Date: Sun Apr 02 2000 - 19:10:09 EST

On 2 Apr 2000 storner@image.dk wrote:

> Compiling it on an i386 (CONFIG_686) gives a couple of assembler
> warnings that I haven't seen before, at the very end of compilation:

You have a new assembler, presumably.

> gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/home/src/linux-2.2/include -traditional -c head.S
> /tmp/ccBTSkdf.s: Assembler messages:
> /tmp/ccBTSkdf.s:109: Warning: using `%eax' instead of `%ax' due to `l' suffix
>[etc]

Ignore them, at least for 2.2.x The newer assemblers have much better
syntax checking than older ones, and are just warning that the asm code
here isn't completely self-consistent. It's done that way for
compatibilty with really old assemblers that add a redundant opcode
prefix on certain instructions. In the case of 2.3.x and the coming
2.4.x, these warnings should be fixed. You require a fairly new
assembler for 2.3.x anyway, to assemble the x86 boot code.

--
Linuxcare.  Support for the Revolution.