Re: Bad IRQ Conflicts on Laptop (2.3.99-p4-2)

From: Jordan Mendelson (jordy@napster.com)
Date: Sun Apr 02 2000 - 19:42:45 EST

Martin Mares wrote:

> Hello!
>
> > I'm having problems with IRQ allocation. It seems that every device is
> > being allocated with IRQ 9 including both of my PCMCIA slots and
> > video/sound/modem/firewire/usb. The BIOS seems to incorrectly map both
> > my PCMCIA slots to IRQ 255 which Linux then remaps to IRQ 9.
>
> As the kernel prints, the BIOS assigns IRQ9 to all of these devices
> and lists the IRQ in the interrupt routing table as the only possibility.

It appears that the BIOS routing table assigns the IRQ to 255 and Linux
itself chooses IRQ 9 and lists the Ricoh bridge as 'PIIX' when it boots
up. Under 2.2.15ac17, this problem does not happen and the Cardbus
controller gets assigned IRQ 3.

> > I run into problems because my sound card won't work properly when on
> > the same IRQ as my CardBus ethernet controller.
>
> What exactly happens? All PCI drivers must support IRQ sharing and
> if they don't, it's their bug which should be fixed.

The commercial OSS drivers I'm using report an IRQ conflict problem when
they are installing. When I try to access the audio device, I get
timeout errors.

Again, this doesn't happen under 2.2.x and 4front tells me this is
purely an IRQ conflict problem.

Jordan