Re: Hundreds of bugs in 2.3.99-pre3

From: Tim Waugh (tim@cyberelk.demon.co.uk)
Date: Mon Apr 03 2000 - 16:44:11 EST

On Mon, 3 Apr 2000, Steve Dodd wrote:

> Is there any chance of making the higher-level subsystems module-aware
> for any of these cases, as was done with the VFS for 2.3.99preX?

How?

I thought of doing something like changing:

xxx_driver->open(...);

to:

MOD_INC_USE_COUNT;
xxx_driver->open(...);
MOD_DEC_USE_COUNT;

but of course that doesn't work, since it adjusts the wrong module count.
:-/

I think any solution like that would only really be a work-around, and
that the drivers themselves should be fixed to just know that they have to
do MOD_INC_USE_COUNT as their first action, and undo it if need be.

Tim.
*/