Bugs or typos in 2.2.15pre??aa?

From: Willy Tarreau (willy@novworld.Novecom.Fr)
Date: Mon Apr 03 2000 - 17:48:10 EST

Hi all !

I've tried Andrea's latest 2.2.15preXX patches (pre16aa3 and pre17aa1) and both
hang all the systems I test them on, except if the kernel is compiled in 486 mode
without IDE support !

If I compile it with TSC support, when the kernel uncompresses, it displays
"Uncompressing the kernel.." then it either hangs or immediately reboots.

I had this on two k6-2 systems. I didn't have a pentium with me to test this. But the
kernel compiled in 486 mode without IDE boots correctly on the k6-2. These k6's support
MTRR.

Looking at the patch, I've found a modification to arch/i386/kernel/head.S. Some part of
code has been removed (about 6 lines) by the sub-patch named "bss-2.2.15pre14aa2-1.gz".

I've reinjected these lines into the file, and now the kernel boots. It now
hangs further, when detecting my ide partitions, in run_list_queue(&tq_disc),
called from __wait_on_buffer()/bread()/msdos_partition(), but that may be due
to my own patches.

To do some tests, I've removed these sub-patches, without any more success :
  - IO-wait-2.gz
  - bss-2.2.15pre14aa2-1.gz
  - bss-IO-1.gz

I compiled my kernel as UP with MTRR and TSC and without BIGMEM.

I forgot to say that if I use only Alan's kernels, everything's OK.

Hope this helps.
I'll try to make it work and give more info later.

Willy