Re: Cannot use kernels 2.3.x with Abit BP6 Motherboard

From: Scott Henry (scotth@sgi.com)
Date: Mon Apr 03 2000 - 19:54:25 EST

L> On Fri, 31 Mar 2000, Agus Budy Wuysang wrote:
>> Valentijn Sessink wrote:
>> > These are the final results on my quest for the BP6 mobo bug. I'm tired
>> > of it for a while - so back to real work now ;)
>> > On the Abit BP6 motherboard, I can reproduce a hang of the HPT366
>> > controller. This is probably a hardware problem; however, it seems a
>> > hardware problem for many BP6 motherboards. Hereby find some details. If
>> > it's just a silly hangup of the motherboard: too bad. But maybe someone
>> > can do something with the information I found.

>> According to the abit newsgroup, this is a known hardware flaw with the
>> HPT366 controller and the Maxtor drives.

L> Are IBM HDD made by Maxtor ?

L> I'm using a BP6 with 2x433 Celeron, with kernel 2.2.14 without any problem.
L> I'm using a 22Gig IBM HD, on the first two IDE connectors (not UDMA66).
L> BUT when I try the 2.3.99pre3 kernel, I have some horrible problems :-(

L> It boots until the login prompt, I enter my login, but It never gives me
L> a chance to enter my password. It is as if the HD crashed, but there are
L> no kernel panic or any information of any problem anywhere.

L> Sometimes it locks before finishing the boot process.

L> When I reboot with my old kernel (2.2.14), I get a lot of corrupted files,
L> so it may show the HD has stopped brutally. So I'm locked with my 2.2.14
L> kernel and cannot upgrade to 2.3.x kernels :-(

Hmmm, I have no problem running 2.3.x kernels on my Abit BP6,
currently 2.3.99-pre3. No overclocking. I am running the QQ beta
BIOS, which seems to have eliminated the hardware-caused SMP
lockups. IBM and Quantum IDE drives, not using the UDMA66 connectors.

--
 Scott Henry <scotth@sgi.com> /  Help! My disclaimer is missing!
 IRIX MTS,                   /  GIGO *really* means: Garbage in, Gospel Out