VFS/MSDOS filesystem rmdir/file "busy" problem and test file.

From: M Sweger (mikesw@whiterose.net)
Date: Tue Apr 04 2000 - 09:01:11 EST

Viro,
    I'm experiencing a "Device or Resource Busy" error message for the
following attached "C" source program for both UMSDOS and MSDOS
filesystems. This problem doesn't occur for ext2 nor for a Sun Solaris
v2.5.1 filesystems. This has been a problem since at least 2.2.13 kernels
but didn't occur for 2.2.1. I've been in contact with the UMSDOS
maintainer and he helped isolate the problem to the attached test source
program.

    The program will work correctly in removing the file and directory
if the close() statement is uncommented between the file unlink() and
rmdir(). If the close() isn't uncommented, then I'll get the "Device
or Resource Busy" message.

   A second problem is for a UMSDOS filesystem that uses the
pseudo-root option. There hasn't been any code changes in this area
and when "ls -l /DOS" is done it produces a "Umsdos: Oops releasing
pseudo root. Notify ....." message due to the root and pseudo-root
inodes being equal.

   The only possibilities that can cause this problem is the VFS,
UMSDOS, or MSDOS filesystem code. However, the UMSDOS source hasn't
changed that much and has been looked at thoroughly and isn't the
cause. Thus, VFS and MSDOS are the only possiblities left to chose
from.

  Could you take a look at the attached file and fix the problem?

   I presently am running 2.2.15pre16 linux kernel.

  Test can be performed by mounting a floppy disk to an ext2 filesystem
as MSDOS or UMSDOS and run the test program off the floppy.

PS: The problem that the attached source points out also occurs
    when doing a "make mrproper" after a kernel build. The files
    in the directory are removed, but not the directory itself
    due to the error message.

    I can send you the short "make mrproper" problem which only contains
    three statements in the Makefile and a directory with a data file
     which reproduces the problems mentioned above.

Thanks for any info and responses to this problem. I hope the problem
can be fixed.

Mike