X server dying 99-pre1 and pre2

From: Walter Zimmer (walter.zimmer@esk.fhg.de)
Date: Tue Apr 04 2000 - 11:46:48 EST

Hi !

Just my experience I had with pre3 and then pre1:

Hardware is a Toshiba Satellite Pro 4220.
Mobile Pentium III 450, 440BX

I compiled Kernel 99-pre3, enabled Interrupt sharing for PCI IDE,
enabled DMA and PIIX support. Reboot, everyone is happy, X starts -
boom, shuts down, reboots. While booting my fs got corrupted
in such a way that fsck suggested to manually do the fsck. Well,
I rebootet with 2.2.14, the fsck repaired, but run through, no
problem.

I tried 99-pre1 because I have it running on another laptop with
440BX and interrupt sharing - no problems. Well, no luck, same
behavior. So I switched off IDE options until I had disabled PIIX
options, DMA and interrupt sharing, and with the latter it didn't
currupt the fs any more. Didn't try enabling DMA since im frustrated
enough for now :)

Unfortunately, my kdm/X server won't start under pre1 (as it didn't
under 99pre3 the first time). /var/shm exists, BTW.
ext2_fs complains about "bad entry in directory blah".

So, what's the roadmap to isolate the error ? Could it bee that the
fs is still corrupted which causes the error messages and X won't
start because of this, although fsck doesn't complain ?

So Im a bit clueless about the 'clean' way to isolate the error.

Can someone provide some help, please ?

Regards,
Walter

--