Re: VFS/MSDOS filesystem rmdir/file "busy" problem and test file.

From: M Sweger (mikesw@whiterose.net)
Date: Tue Apr 04 2000 - 16:04:54 EST

On Tue, 4 Apr 2000, Alexander Viro wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Apr 2000, M Sweger wrote:
>
> > Viro,
> > I'm experiencing a "Device or Resource Busy" error message for the
> > following attached "C" source program for both UMSDOS and MSDOS
> > filesystems. This problem doesn't occur for ext2 nor for a Sun Solaris
> > v2.5.1 filesystems. This has been a problem since at least 2.2.13 kernels
> > but didn't occur for 2.2.1. I've been in contact with the UMSDOS
> > maintainer and he helped isolate the problem to the attached test source
> > program.
>
> Yeah, not a new problem. Try it on minixfs and you'll get the same. It's
> on the list of fixes for 2.3, but not exactly at the top - there are more
> pressing ones. 2.2.1 didn't have it, it just had a huge race around the
> same places. Backporting to 2.2 will be non-trivial - solution will have
> to rely on new locking protocol or it will be ugly as hell.

_After_ that
> will be done in 2.3, OK?

Are you saying in this sentence that you'll backport the fix from v2.3
to v2.2 or do you mean that I'll have to wait till v2.4 for the fix and
this was a typo?

I'd like to put Oracle on this but can't trust it due to the busy problem.
I realize that redhat can do oracle on ext2 filesystem.

Thanks.