Re: Music CD's

From: David Elliott (dfe@infinite-internet.net)
Date: Tue Apr 04 2000 - 17:04:40 EST

Kelsey Hudson - kernel mailing list account wrote:

> > Sorry, but I have to say that that has to be the dumbest idea I have ever
> > seen.
>
> Depends.
>
> > Reading audio off of an audio CD is not a perfect process. If you read the
> > Audio CD specification you'll notice that the best resolution you can get is
> > 1/63 of a second (since every frame is 1/75 of a second). So to fix that
> > problem you need things like jitter correction algorithms (unless your CD-ROM
> > already does it) and algorithms to correctly get around scratches.
>
> He read the white book. :)

Actually, I think I read a condensed version of it and also picked up stuff from
various good CD programs (CDR-Win actually, which BTW, runs nicely under Wine if
you have an old unsupported drive). Also, I think cdparanoia had some good
documentation (or maybe it was something else).

> > Trying to put all that crap in the kernel is pretty dumb. And if you just do
> > a half-assed job and only let it work for perfect non-scratched CDs on
> > CD-ROMs with built-in jitter correction, then we will have even more
> > half-assed MP3s with pops and skips in them.
>
> I don't know HOW many MP3s I have with pops and skips, but every single
> one bugs the crap out of me. Even worse is the BAD JC algoritms or
> doubling JC algorithms on corrected drives! Those produce whine and hiss
> in the high end and make me want to find out who encoded the MP3 and take
> his computer away from him.

Yes, and this is exactly why we don't want to export WAV files from kernel space.
It will just make more crappy MP3s and CD copies.

> > By far, the best thing to do is keep this crap OUT of the kernel. The
> > cdparanoia program can do just about anything you want, and NEVER pops or
> > skips even on shitty drives. If you are making MP3s of CDs I strongly
> > suggest that you use cdparanoia and a good encoder.
>
> Never is a big word :) but i agree, this stuff needs to stay out of kernel
> and remain in user-space. As far as encoding goes...get the best encoder
> you can. and that usually means the slow ones. the slow ones do MATH to
> see what algorithm to use given that time, which equates to a better MP3.
> or if you are one that could care less about sound quality, then by all
> means, encode with shitty ripper and encoder. But, if you are doing that
> then you might as well be listening to 8 track tapes, as that is about the
> quality one could expect from something like that.

Actually, I have never heard anything noticeable with CD-Paranoia. One nice thing
about CDP is that it displays a bar graph showing what it is doing.. a space for
perfect, a - for jitter correction required, a + for an "unreported loss of
streaming/other error in read". It seems that a + doesn't really affect the audio
(I believe it is corrected). If you see a "V" though, you are in trouble.

So as this pertains to the kernel:

I am strongly against bloating the kernel with code like CD-Paranoia or even with
code providing hooks for error correction. Someone earlier brought up the fact
that everything in UNIX is a device... well, except for network drivers and
CD-ROM tracks. He does have a point, it seems silly to not have devices for
CD-ROM tracks.

I would like to see kernel support for multiple sessions and multiple data
tracks. It is very silly to have /dev/cdrom's contents be the last session
recorded on the disk, with no flexibility.

With that said, exporting audio tracks is a bad idea. Many CDs have audio in
pre-gaps and all sorts of crap that is better handled by a program that can read
the TOC itself and decide what to do. Trying to enforce a certain policy is not a
good idea in this case.

-Dave