Re: Music CD's

From: Matthew Kirkwood (weejock@ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Apr 04 2000 - 19:17:00 EST

On Tue, 4 Apr 2000, Richard Gooch wrote:

[ cdaudiofs in kernel ]

> > > If its in kernel someone did it wrong. You can do it just as well using
> > > userspace and the coda vfs hooks.
> >
> > Yeah , but the same argument applies to FAT, NFS , UFS and all the
> > others too , no ?
>
> True. It's not clear to me where the distinction is drawn. Why does FS
> A get into the kernel, and FS B is pushed to user-space?

Isn't this what makes Linux good? We don't have to have absolute,
rock-solid, hard-and-fast rules about what goes where, or how it is
done.

We can use what has gone before as precedent, but not be tied by
it.

Do we always have to draw a line?

Matthew
- though I wish devfs was all userspace :-)