Re: English spelling? Yes! (was: Re: Shmem filesystem? DevFS? Why.)

From: Jes Sorensen (Jes.Sorensen@cern.ch)
Date: Wed Apr 05 2000 - 04:43:12 EST

>>>>> "Dominik" == Dominik Kubla <dominik.kubla@uni-mainz.de> writes:

Dominik> On Tue, Apr 04, 2000 at 10:09:17PM -0400, Theodore Y. Ts'o
Dominik> wrote:
>> P.S. Can we at least *please* chance all occurances of "disc" to
>> "disk" in the publically visible devfs namespace? The kernel uses
>> American english everywhere else, and having a mixture of British
>> and American english is just going to cause massive confusion.

Dominik> Ah now, come on Ted!

Dominik> You should know as well as anybody that Linux has always
Dominik> favoured the English spelling over the American. It is
Dominik> "colour console" after all...

Ted's request is perfectly valid, just about every single Linux
application I have seen refers to disk as "disk" and not
disc. Changing it in one place like that is silly and going to cause a
lot of nusiance for the users.

Jes