Re: Writing to /dev/tty0 behaving like writing to /dev/null.

From: Richard B. Johnson (root@chaos.analogic.com)
Date: Wed Apr 05 2000 - 06:43:23 EST

On Tue, 4 Apr 2000, Dave Mielke wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I'm using the 2.2.12-20 kernel which comes with RedHat 6.1. My understanding is
> that /dev/tty0 is always the current virtual console. I would expect,
> therefore, that writing to it should always cause data to appear on the screen.
> This is, in fact, what usually does happenˇ
>
> My problem is that, a little earlier today, data written to /dev/tty0 stopped
> appearing. I could still write to it, i.e. it did not return an error, but it
> was as though the data was being written somewhere else (or, perhaps, nowhere).
> I could still write to /dev/tty1 (or whatever non-zero tty matched the virtual
> console I was currently using, and the data would appear. Just data written to
> /dev/tty0 dfid not show up.
>
> I saved /dev/tty0's stty settings, and then rebooted. After rebooting, data
> written to /dev/tty0 started to appear again. I then checked its stty settings
> again, and they were exactly the same as they were before the reboot when it
> was not working.
>
> Do any of you have any idea regarding what might have caused this problem?
>
> Thanks.

On this system /dev/tty0 is the first virtual terminal, i.e. ALT-F1,
while /dev/tty1 is the second, etc. This all depends upon the major/minor
numbers of the devices, though so it may be different on other systems.

The "logical" tty for all tasks is /dev/tty. It is major 5, minor 0.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

Penguin : Linux version 2.3.41 on an i686 machine (800.63 BogoMips).