Forcing eth1 for pcmcia card

From: Jim Roland (jim@roland.net)
Date: Wed Apr 05 2000 - 13:23:59 EST

I have read the Ethernet-HowTo and even bootparam, and am lost.

I run a laptop, who at times is not docked at the office (imagine that).
When I'm docked at the office, the port replicator has a 3c905C in it, and
that runs on eth0 with a static IP. When docked

When docked at the office with the port replicator:
eth0 = 3C905C-TX (3Com Etherlink) on a static IP
eth1 = 3C575 (3Com Cardbus 3CCFEM656) on DHCP

All works fine with the cards, however when I'm undocked, the kernel
insists on making my PCMCIA card eth0 instead of eth1 (undocked eth0 is
"unplugged"). How can I force the 3C575 to be eth1 even undocked?

I tried append="ether=3,0xa80,eth1 ether=0,0,eth0" in lilo, however, the
cardbus adapter still comes up as eth0. I use a valid IRQ in eth0's line,
the system locks up.

-=>Jim Roland

"Never settle with words what you can settle with a flamethrower."
        --Anonymous