Re: [patch] Space.c and -fwritable-strings

From: Nick Holloway (Nick.Holloway@alfie.demon.co.uk)
Date: Wed Apr 05 2000 - 16:50:28 EST

torvalds@transmeta.com (Linus Torvalds) writes:
> Ok, I have an alternative approach that I think should be a lot cleaner
> and that looks obviously correct. How about this one-liner patch instead:
>
> include/linux/netdevice.h:
>
> struct net_device {
> - char *name;
> + char name[16];

Less obviously correct are the modifications to the network drivers :-)

I did start this (just to see how bad it really was), and I have 46
modified source files. This is only looking at "drivers/net/*.c".

I have checked it compiles with all network drivers as modules, but that
is all. I may have goofed in moving from 2.3.99-pre2 to 2.3.99-pre3
(no compilation test performed).

If you want to have a look, point an HTTP client at:

        http://www.alfie.demon.co.uk/dev_name-2.3.99-pre3.diff.gz

My own feeling is that this is rather a large upheaval close to 2.4.
Then again, it isn't my call. In addition, many of the modified drivers
should be using init_etherdev anyway.

--
 `O O'  | Nick.Holloway@alfie.demon.co.uk
// ^ \\ | http://www.alfie.demon.co.uk/