Re: English spelling? Yes! (was: Re: Shmem filesystem? DevFS?

From: Albert D. Cahalan (acahalan@cs.uml.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 05 2000 - 22:08:13 EST

Jeremy Fitzhardinge writes:
> On 05-Apr-2000 Jes Sorensen wrote:

>> Ted's request is perfectly valid, just about every single Linux
>> application I have seen refers to disk as "disk" and not disc.
>
> Except for Compact Discs.

Oh, you fell into a trap.

The "disc" spelling was used precisely because it isn't a word.
By using a non-word you get better trademark protection.

Now you know why marketing can't spell, and why "disc" is WRONG.
Maybe the kernel is even violating a trademark... but then I'm
not a lawyer and this isn't to be used as legal advice.