Re: requesting info on the changes to the VFS in 2.3/2.4 from 2.3

From: Steve Dodd (steved@loth.demon.co.uk)
Date: Thu Apr 06 2000 - 02:05:58 EST

On Thu, Apr 06, 2000 at 04:42:21AM +0000, Tim R. wrote:

> From looking at the various change logs and seeing some of the discussion, i
> take it that a lot has changed in the VFS since 2.2.x
> Could someone explain (or even better point me to a FAQ or doc or howto) to
> me what all has changed from a filesystem's point of view?
> What all needs to be done to port a filesystem to 2.3/2.4?

Al Viro often posts summaries of significant changes to linux-fsdevel; look
for messages with subjects beginning [ANNOUNCE], [Announce], [Announcement],
etc. Other than that, a diff -u between the ext2 source in 2.2.14 and 2.3.99pre
would probably be instructive -- IMHO most of the changes are self
explanatory once you know about them.

If, having done that, you want to send Richard Gooch a patch for
<URL:http://www.atnf.csiro.au/~rgooch/linux/docs/porting-to-2.3.html>, I'm
sure everyone would be grateful :-)

> What might be really nice, although possiblely overkill, would be for
> someone to write a skeleton filesystem that just demostraights the proper
> way to interact with the VFS layer and stuff.

It was discussed a few days ago. RTFlist-archives.

--
There are many intelligent species in the universe.  They all own
cats.