Re: Suggested dual human/binary interface for proc/devfs

From: Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 06 2000 - 03:41:01 EST

On Thu, 6 Apr 2000, Richard Gooch wrote:

> Alexander Viro writes:
> > "ASCII is tough" -- Programmer Barbie
>
> Al, this is simply rude. You are deinigrating people who disagree with
> you. If you don't agree with someone: fine. Feel free to argue the
> technical issues.

Richard, I'm bloody sick and tired of the ugliness that went into UNIX
from each and every Missed'em'V in existance. Of unneeded interfaces. Of
unneeded namespaces (e.g. the whole SysV IPC - _why_ not a filesystem?)
Of crap like AIX with its love to binary config files. Of braindead
syscalls (sysfs(2) - look and enjoy) that are there because it's easier to
add a syscall than to talk a dozen of primadonnas into <gasp> reading from
unformatted text file. It's time to stop this idiocy. Please, before we
continue that into a flamewar, search on DN for "UNIX philosophy", OK?