Linux, Parallel to USB converter using Belkin devices?

From: M Sweger (mikesw@whiterose.net)
Date: Thu Apr 06 2000 - 09:41:30 EST

Hello all,

    I have an external 56K modem that has an Rs-232 serial port. I also
have an external parallel port Zip drive. Here is what I want to do.

1) Can I attach to the modem or zip drive a parallel to centronics
   printer port connection adaptor, then use a Belkin centronics
   to USB converter device so in essence I'm making my parallel port able
   to work on a USB bus?

   Is linux, using the USB driver, able to recognize this and work
   with the associated modem and zip kernel drivers without problem?

2). Now do the oppposite. That is, suppose I bought a USB modem and zip
    drive that I want to connect to a friends old RS-232/parallel port
    that doesn't have any USB stuff? I get a parallel/serial port to
    centronics printer adaptor, then connect a Belkin centronics to USB
    converter device. Then I plug my USB modem and zip into this USB
    connector.

    Will this work? and with linux parallel/serial s/w drivers so that
    it doesn't know a USB is present?

3). The parallel port zip allows me to attach a centronic printer cable
     on the 2nd port. Will the Belking centronics printer to USB work
     if one were attached to it so that my USB printer works.

     The same for attaching a USB printer to a parallel port on the
     computer and not the zip.

4). Same applies to anything else that needs to be converted.

This sure will save on having to by two different modems or zip drives:
one for paralle/serial and the other for USB.

Thanks for any info.