Re: Music CD's

From: Pavel Machek (pavel@suse.cz)
Date: Wed Apr 05 2000 - 04:50:06 EST

Hi!

> One thing to be aware of is that CD audio players routinely interpolate or mute
> parts of audio they can't immediately read, this is obviously not a good solution
> for ripping audio tracks. However, MS has used the CD-DA interface on new CD-ROMs
> to allow for quick and dirty playing of audio tracks digitally into something like
> a USB speaker system. We may at some point want some sort of an interface like
> this. But it should clearly warn programmers that it is for playing the data, not
> copying it or making MP3s out of it.

BTW when you have 10x or faster cdrom, you could retry even when
playing the data, no? With big enough buffers, you could go for better
quality than that.

I have usb speakers on my system, so I probably need interface like
that. (Funny thing is that machine with usb speakers has no cdrom, so
I'll need to stream it over esd over ethernet, anyway).

                                                                Pavel

--
I'm pavel@ucw.cz. "In my country we have almost anarchy and I don't care."
Panos Katsaloulis describing me w.r.t. patents me at discuss@linmodems.org