Re: Linux, Parallel to USB converter using Belkin devices?

From: M Sweger (mikesw@whiterose.net)
Date: Thu Apr 06 2000 - 19:28:58 EST

Another possiblity is to tie all parallel/serial devices into a hub
similar to the A/B switch printer box but under s/w control. Then
this box has another connector that is a parallel/serial one to connect
to the computers parallel/serial port. Next, use "plip" for parallel
and/or "slip" for serial using linux loadable modules to talk thru this
port to the box serving as the hub. The plip connection or ppp would talk
to each device such as the modem or the zip via a different port or IP
address.

2nd variation is USB modems and zips plugged into the USB to parallel
hub and use plip/slip to talk via the parallel/serial port to this hub.

3rd variation is parallel/serial devices plugged into the Hub with a
USB connection to the computer. Comm s/w unknown to communicate.

4th variation is USB devices plugged into the hub with a USB connection
to the computer. Comm s/w unknown to communicate.

Belkin does supply hubs, but not the combos one needs to do this.

Any other ideas? Any other vendors besides Belkin

Mike