Re: Is Linux 2.2+ proxy ARP broken?

From: Markus Stenberg (mstenber@cc.Helsinki.FI)
Date: Fri Apr 07 2000 - 04:12:39 EST

Tuomas Heino <iheino@cc.hut.fi> writes:
> On Thu, 6 Apr 2000, Ion Badulescu wrote:
> > It's not supported, the underlying data structures do not have a field
> > for the supplied MAC address. What the code does is try to match the
> > supplied MAC address against the MAC addresses of all interfaces, then
> > store a pointer to the matching interface structure in the proxy arp
> > structure.
> I think there was a thread about this just before the 2.2 release...
> but... was support dropped for things like
> arp -Ds 10.1.20.128 eth0 netmask 255.255.255.128 pub
> too? (inserting 125-128 host entries would be rather boring/inefficient)

I thought the noise before 2.2 was about removing netmask support (or to be
more precise, netmask support for netmasks other than 255.255.255.255,
i.e. one host).

So, in another words, yes, that was removed, at least.

-Markus

--
Programming can be fun, so can cryptography; however they should not be
combined.