Re: Suggested dual human/binary interface for proc/devfs

From: Ed Carp (erc@pobox.com)
Date: Fri Apr 07 2000 - 10:25:28 EST

Pavel Machek (pavel@suse.cz) writes:

> ...and you are probably right if you say "write(fd, ctrl,
> sizeof(ctrl)", but I do not believe that fprintf(fd, "CONTROL MSG: %d
> %d %d %d %d %d %d \n", .... ) is good idea.

This is really done more for the casual user who really doesn't want to (or need to) write code to do "cat /proc/meminfo". And why should they?

There already exists binary interfaces to the kernel - they are a legacy hack, and are ugly, but they work. A unified binary interface would be nice, but is it really worth all the effort?