Re: Question on MAJOR.H

From: Jeff V. Merkey (jmerkey@timpanogas.com)
Date: Fri Apr 07 2000 - 15:05:51 EST

"H. Peter Anvin" wrote:

> Followup to: <20000407210959.A6098@win.tue.nl>
> By author: Guest section DW <dwguest@win.tue.nl>
> In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel
> >

> Shouldn't this be handled by the partition-detection code anyhow
> (/proc/partitions et al)?

Probably, but this would mean putting more code into the 2.4 release. I
looked at the partition stuff in genhd.c - it should go here -- except
for one point. NWFS does not share the Unix limitation of "one
partition - one file system tree". NetWare volumes stripe segments
across multiple drives, and for some reason, this seems strange to
Linux. Linux always seems to assume that

NWFS can support up to 8 volume segments in a single Netware partition,
can have 4 NetWare partitions for a disk device, and all of these
segments can belong to the same volume, or all belong to different
volumes. A volume can be comprissed of up to 32 volume segments, and
these segments can reside across several disk drives. One of the
reasons it was done this way was to allow folks to easily "splice" extra
segments onto a NetWare volume to increase it's size if someone added a
disk to a system to get more storage.

I have to scan through all the disks when NWFS first loads or tries to
mount a volume in order to read in the volume segment tables for each
NetWare partition detected to build a map of all the volume segments and
their locations, otherwise I cannot map the volume. I think long term
we should put this into the partition stuff in genhd.c, but for now, I
am scanning them myself.

I am putting in support for 128 I2O and 128 SCSI disks (along with 10th
IDE controller, etc.) and ran across this define for compaq Smart
Controllers. I am just wondering if they number their disks strange or
something.

Jeff