Re: use video ram as system ram ?

From: Borislav Deianov (borislav@lix.polytechnique.fr)
Date: Sat Apr 08 2000 - 10:19:21 EST

In article <200004072111.RAA11179@rushlight.kf8nh.apk.net> you wrote:
> In a sense, it did... EMM386 can do this. But it is done by
> borrowing the memory used for graphics modes --- commonly one was
> restricted to text or CGA video. Not going to fly for Windows,
> obviously....

I believe EMM386 allowed you to map real memory into the address space
normally used for graphics modes, not augment your total memory with
the memory on the graphics card. See, it turned out 640KB was not
enough for everybody, but almost ONE MEGABYTE surely must be.

Anyway, QEMM was way better than EMM386 at these tricks.

Regards,
Borislav