Re: FW: press release - new network driver architecture

From: David S. Miller (davem@redhat.com)
Date: Sun Apr 09 2000 - 20:53:08 EST

   Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2000 21:24:25 -0400 (EDT)
   From: "Albert D. Cahalan" <acahalan@cs.uml.edu>

   Hardware vendors can not expect users to know about compiling. It
   would be very dangerous to have hardware vendors supplying whole
   kernel upgrades, but what else can they do?

There really is not a whole lot preventing the "install" script
on a driver cdrom from building the kernel module from source.
It can even pop up a little "building driver module" dialogue
with a cute little thermometer moving along as the thing builds
itself. :-)

The one thing preventing that would be if no compiler tools at
all are installed on the user's machine. And that would be
the one issue preventing this scheme from working.

It then would not matter if the user was using kernel-2.2.x from
Debian, or Slackware, or whoever. It also would not matter if the
person was running on a Sparc, a PPC, an Alpha, an x86, or whatever
PCI based platform on which the card works.

I mean, am I the only person for whom this strikes them as being
desirable? :-)

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@redhat.com