Re: Alpha XL366 machine checks on 2.3.99-pre3

From: Mikolaj J. Habryn (dichro-mail-fa960c3c@rcpt.to)
Date: Sun Apr 09 2000 - 21:20:58 EST

    WC> Any body managed to build and boot 2.3.99-preX on an Alpha?

  Yes, I have pre4-5 running on an SX164 even as we speak, although
not without some significant troubles.

    WC> Notes: 1. Compiling on 2.3.99-pre3 will bomb out at md.c,
    WC> around line 40. Return value of sys_setsid should be long
    WC> instead of int. 2. Disable PCMCIA support as it bombs out.
    WC> 3. Disable BINFMT_EM86 support as it bombs out too..

  It probably isn't useful to you, but in addition:

  Hard hang with interrupts locked out - seems to corresponed with IDE
activity. The SX164 has an odd MultiIO controller which is probably
unique across the range, though. Using safe settings with hdparm seems
to alleviate the problem.

  The Symbios and NCR 53c8xx drivers have changed their default
behaviour (well, the Symbios has apparently always had this default
behaviour, but it's the one with a documented workaround) to not
attach to SCSI controllers which are set OFF in their
NVRAM. I don't know why they would have such a setting, but it is the
case for my cheap 875-based board. Workaround: sym53c8xx=nvram:0x81 on
the kernel's command line.

m.