Re: Question: Gateway address == 0

From: Rik van Riel (riel@conectiva.com.br)
Date: Mon Apr 10 2000 - 12:31:30 EST

On Mon, 10 Apr 2000, Tuomas Heino wrote:
> On Sun, 9 Apr 2000, Horst von Brand wrote:
>
> > OK. Then Linux needs fixing: The message which started this thread (sorry,
> > I haven't got it handy) claimed that one could configure a interface with
> > host 0. I just did so (linux-2.2.15pre17 on i686):
> > Wouldn't know where to start to fix it, sorry. ifconfig clearly can't be
> > blamed, the kernel must forbid illegal configurations.
>
> Sure go ahead and break things like bootp/dhcp - we really want to have
> those hd-less thingies to have a more complex bootup sequence ;)

FYI: I'm currently working to have swap-over-network work
cleanly and reliably, both for 2.2 and 2.3/2.4. I'll make
sure at least nbd is supported, nfs will be done only if it
can be supported more or less cleanly :)

(but a stateless swap protocol should be done so people can
mount / from a NFS server cluster and have their swap HA too)

regards,

Rik

of people. That is its real strength.

Wanna talk about the kernel? irc.openprojects.net / #kernelnewbies http://www.conectiva.com/ http://www.surriel.com/