Re: FW: press release - new network driver architecture

From: Christoph Hellwig (chhellwig@gmx.net)
Date: Mon Apr 10 2000 - 11:34:09 EST

On Mon, Apr 10, 2000 at 01:10:38PM -0400, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:
> Alan Cox writes:
>
> >> Hardware vendors can not expect users to know about compiling.
> >> It would be very dangerous to have hardware vendors supplying
> >> whole kernel upgrades, but what else can they do?
> >
> > Provide source code and work with the community as well as with
> > vendors. Several of them are doing this just fine. A few others
> > have had good intentions and almost got it right and will no doubt
> > do this next time.
>
> This doesn't help at all. I'll add dates for you:
>
> 1. user has a 1999 TurboLinux install
> 2. hardware is designed and built in September 2000
> 3. user installs hardware after Christmas 2000
>
> What you are saying basicly amounts to "upgrade Linux".
> The next TurboLinux release could be months away, and the
> user doesn't want to buy it anyway.

No, no, no!

you make a linux subdir on your drivers CD.
you put a Makefile in this dir, you put a .c file in the dir, youz put a README
in the dir. The Makefile inludes /usr/src/linux-'uname -r'/Rules.make and adds
-I/usr/src/linux-'uname -r'/include to the CFLAGS. done.

Christoph

--
Always remember that you are unique.  Just like everyone else.