Re: Debugging kernel over serial console?

From: Rik van Riel (riel@conectiva.com.br)
Date: Mon Apr 10 2000 - 12:53:27 EST

On Mon, 10 Apr 2000, Ed Carp wrote:

> We're doing a port of both 2.0.30 and 2.2.14 to a, um,
> less-than-compliant PPC. We're seeing Linux go out to lunch
> after about 3 weeks or so of operation. I talk to a terminal
> server that talks to the Linux box through the serial port, so
> the usual way of doing things with shift/scroll-lock won't work.
> Anyone have an idea as to how I can debug this box? TIA :)

A good solution might be to have the various sysrq things
available from files in /proc/, drivers/char/sysrq.c is the
file you want to look at.

Of course this no longer helps you after things have crashed,
so maybe we want an alternate key combination to get at the
sysrq info over serial console??

regards,

Rik

of people. That is its real strength.