R_386_32 "compilation" error

From: Erik Kruus (kruus@on2.com)
Date: Mon Apr 10 2000 - 12:54:20 EST

Last week there were several similar messages of the "can't compile"
sort. The error messages are all like

... "relocation truncated to fit: R_386_32 <name of offest>".

  My crude fix was simply to uninstall the 'binutils-multiarch' package.
  Make sure you have the normal 'binutils' package installed.

Extra info:

It is not a compiler error. It is the linker 'ld' that is complaining.

Each <name of offset> is defined somewhere in arch/.../<something>.S files.

I had a similar error and solved it, thanks to one of the messages
supplying a crucial clue that he was using the (same) frozen
Debian distribution as I was.

(Newbies, note that your toolset/linux-distribution -is- actually
 useful information when submitting a problem report)

Interestingly, there were less of this type of error in a
2.3.18 kernel (that I knew to compile properly) than in the
2.3.99-pre3 one, if I remember right.

I don't really need the cross-platform stuff right now.
You might actually want it, though!

I will not filed a debian bug report for this. If this solution
works for someone other than me, but you also want to use the
binutils-multiarch package, then consider submitting it to the the
debian buglist if it's an unreported thing.