Re: What to do with 3c59x.c?

From: Wakko Warner (wakko@animx.eu.org)
Date: Mon Apr 10 2000 - 20:46:20 EST

> This driver now supports
>
> 3c59x series
> 3c90x series
> 3c980 series
> 3c555 series
> 3c575 series (Cardbus).
>
> That's EISA, PCI and Cardbus all in the one driver. Fairly cleanly.
>
> I wish to get a patch out for some testing. (As it claims to support 27
> different NICs it's gonna need some...)

Send me patch (privately if it's too big to post to list) and I'll try it on
my laptop and another system with a 3c905a card. I have a b and a c version
of the 905 at work.

> My question is: how should this driver be integrated into the kernel
> tree?
>
> - perhaps make a clean break. Put it in drivers/net/3cxxx.c and remove
> the other two.
>
> Any suggestions?

I thought of something, I'm not sure if anyone would like the idea or not.
call it 3com32.c (Driver for 3com 32-bit cards. AFAIK, all the cards you
listed are 32 bit. I guess it would break, as far as the file name goes, if
it supported the 64 bit cards. Does 3com even make 64-bit pci nics?)