Re: FW: press release - new network driver architecture

From: Helge Hafting (helgehaf@idb.hist.no)
Date: Tue Apr 11 2000 - 02:05:01 EST

> > Actually make that all combinations of:
> >
> > (gcc-2.7.2, egcs-1.1.x, egcs-2.*) X (i386, i486, i586, i686, ppc,
> > sparc, sparc64, alpha, mips, sh,
> > s390, arm)
>
> You forgot " x (SMP, Non-SMP)" and the lot of huge-RAM configurations (the
> do matter here, isn't it?) for ia32, and a few ia32 configurations.

As far as I know, the same gcc works with UP, SMP, small-RAM, and
various huge-RAM configurations. That's the point of supplying source.
An i386 gcc should be able to compile for all the x86 variants.

But I get the point - there is still too many processors and compiler
versions.

A better solution might be to create source packages for the major
distributions, where dependencies will deal with the need for
a compiler. And throw in plain source for the rest.

Those who can't use the compiler themselves probably use some
distribution that
allows automating the process. (Require the compiler package, then
run a script. Most of them probably have the compiler by default as
they installed
"all" or "distribution default")
Those with strange setups and unusual compiler versions probably
know how do it, or can be forced to learn.

Helge Hafting