Kernel novice questions...

From: Kernel User (kernel@capstone.net.au)
Date: Tue Apr 11 2000 - 14:24:20 EST

I would like to attempt to compile 2.3.99-pre3. Do I just rename
/usr/src/linux to /usr/src/linux.old and then decompress the .gz and
tar files, creating a new /usr/src/linux directory?

And I was wondering about make menuconfig or xconfig. With the
new kernel I would assume that there would me more new features
and so new menu options. How is this be taken care of in
menuconfig? When I start it, it tells me "Linux Kernel v2.3.99
Configuration" so it must be getting the information from
somewhere. Is it from the "Makefile" file?