Re: Suggested dual human/binary interface for proc/devfs

From: allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
Date: Tue Apr 11 2000 - 16:17:51 EST

On 11 Apr, Matthew Kirkwood wrote:
+-----
| On Tue, 11 Apr 2000 allbery@kf8nh.apk.net wrote:
| > eth0:
| > {
| > ip_address=192.168.201.116
| > netmask=255.255.255.0
| > alias:
| > {
| > 192.168.201.117
| > 192.168.201.118
| > }
| >
| > is not prohibitively difficult for a shell script to deal with.
|
| Yes it is. Why should it all be in one big file?
+--->8

Because (a) you don't want to deal with the headaches if the network
configuration changes between files, and (b) multiple files will be
slower and spend more time in the kernel processing pathnames in
procfs, adding more to system load.

Point (a) in particular is a nightmare you don't want to have to deal
with in a shell script; the single file is effectively atomic with
respect to the shell script.

--
brandon s. allbery	   os/2,linux,solaris,perl	allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator	   kthkrb,heimdal,gnome,rt	  allbery@ece.cmu.edu