Re: FW: press release - new network driver architecture

From: Henning P. Schmiedehausen (hps@tanstaafl.de)
Date: Wed Apr 12 2000 - 03:24:30 EST

erc@pobox.com (Ed Carp) writes:

>It's all a trick so they can take, take, take from the Open Source community
>and not have to give anything back in return. We're being ripped off...

So don't release Software under a license where you feel 'ripped
off'. You can't get ripped of if you release under GPL (but then you
must accept that people sometimes simply don't use your code even
though it is 'better'). If you release under BSD, Apache or Artistic
license, you explicitly allow usage that you now call 'rip off'. So it
is your own fault.

>no give. Maximize profit, to hell with the spirit of the GPL and Open
>Source...bah, humbug.

If you don't like this, use GPL. But you should remember that some
people have to feed their families and for this sometimes you have to
earn money (yuck).

        Regards
                Henning

--
Dipl.-Inf. (Univ.) Henning P. Schmiedehausen --             hps@tanstaafl.de
TANSTAAFL! Consulting - Unix, Internet, Security

Hutweide 15 Fon.: 09131 / 50654-0 "There ain't no such D-91054 Buckenhof Fax.: 09131 / 50654-20 thing as a free Linux"