Re: Suggested dual human/binary interface for proc/devfs

From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Mattias Engdeg=E5rd?= (f91-men@nada.kth.se)
Date: Wed Apr 12 2000 - 14:23:24 EST

>Why can't /proc be populated by a heirarchy of single value files, and
>each directory has a .dump (or whatever) file which has a text
>representation of the directory structure?

Why the .dump? Is there a deep reason why you can't use the directory itself
for that (since read != readdir)?

eg.

# ls /proc/net/eth0
bytesreceived
bytestransmitted
blah1
blah2

# cat /proc/net/eth0/bytesreceived
1234

# cat /proc/net/eth0
bytesreceived/1234
bytestransmitted/23345
blah1/23
blah2/3

(Obviously the format of the composed file has to be designed with
utmost care, the above was just an example.)

Or did I just wake the albod thread that everyone thought was dead?