Strange problem with nfsroot 2.3.99pre3

From: Nick Clifford (nickc@m2tech.co.nz)
Date: Thu Apr 13 2000 - 03:06:42 EST

I've setup a diskless client running 2.3.99pre3, and set it up using
nfsroot for its root filesystem. However, no matter what I do, I can't
get the root filesystem mounted read-write.

Diskless-Client Setup:
- Yes, rw is specified in the kernel options.
- cat /proc/mounts:
/dev/root / nfs rw,addr=10.0.0.202 0 0
none /proc proc rw 0 0

Server /etc/exports:
/tftpboot/client 10.0.0.0/255.0.0.0 (rw,no_root_squash)

I've tried: "mount / -o remount,rw" which succeeds, but I still get:
cat > blahtest
sh: blahtest: Read-only file system

I've also tried mounting the exact same nfs export from other machines,
(running the same kernel version, but without nfsroot configured), and
it works fine, I can write no problems! Thats what stumps me the most.
And leads me to believe it must be a problem at the client end. And
since I'm using 2.3.99-pre3 on the server, and it can mount its own
nfs-export, it must have something todo with the nfs-root code for some
strange reason.

I've also tried mounting the same export again from the diskless client
on /tmp, and the fs is STILL read-only.

Does anyone have any ideas? clues? etc?

Thanks,

Nick Clifford