Re: EXT2 and BadBlock updating.....

From: Stephen C. Tweedie (sct@redhat.com)
Date: Thu Apr 13 2000 - 07:10:07 EST

Hi,

PLEASE format your email to less than 80 columns.

On Tue, Apr 11, 2000 at 04:37:49PM -0500, Ed Carp wrote:

> The problem with this approach is, if you're working with systems that are up 24x7, to *not* have the ability to automatically detect a bad block, copy the data to another block, then mark that block as bad is a real pain at best and completely unacceptable at worst. One of my clients is using Linux in a network communications controller (SONET/ATM backplane) and this sort of thing is going to raise the pain level around here as soon as someone realizes that badblocks aren't taken case of.

Huh? Modern disks do this for you anyway. It is counterproductive
for the kernel to try to help, because if the kernel remaps what appears
to be a bad block, then you're just duplicating effort. The next time
the kernel tries to write to that "bad" block, the disk will have
remapped it on its own.

And if you exhaust the size of the disk's remapping tables, you are
in big trouble because your disk is on its way to the big data center
in the sky.

--Stephen