Re: devfs - why not ?

From: Ricky Beam (jfbeam@bluetopia.net)
Date: Thu Apr 13 2000 - 11:30:38 EST

On Thu, 13 Apr 2000, Alan Cox wrote:
>> It was merely an example. What about /dev/sda and /dev/sdb for USB
>> hard drives.
>
>You dont care what drive is where, you care what file system is where. Thats
>what UUID's are for

Bullshit! Let us take as an example, removable media -- a floppy drive. At
some point, one will need the ability to format the floppy in that drive.
It _has_ _no_ _filesystem_, thus UUID is a worthless pile of doggy do.

Let us further take as an example, a file system that has no UUID...

As you can see, this will never make it up the flag pole. People need a
way to tell what device is what. There has been bickering in the scsi
realm since the beginning of time... /dev/sda is what device? Some form
of direct mapping is a Very Good Thing (patent pending). If I have to
hop on the Concord with a crate of crap, then so be it...

--Ricky