Re: 2.3.99-3 mounting proc on /dev???

From: Tigran Aivazian (tigran@veritas.com)
Date: Thu Apr 13 2000 - 16:33:36 EST

> i have one machine that i passed to the new kernel that can't boot anymore
> since all seem to indicate that the proc is mounted on /dev hiding thus all
> devices and making the boot procedure impossible....
>
> is this something known, and is there any counter-mesure to it?

This is not /proc, this the new filesystem called devfs. Just pass
"devfs=nomount" as a boot option and it won't mount on /dev by default.

The above on its own is not enough, of course you should read
Documentation/filesystems/devfs/README. But it will at least get your
system back... Then you should convert your /etc/fstab,
/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit, util-linux,console-tools, mouseconfig, XFree86 and
probably a couple more (escapes my memory, I should have the patches lying
somewhere as I did some of the hacks for those when I needed a
"pure-devfs-no-compatibility-system") and you should be ok.

Or, you can run devfsd or create a few symlinks manually on boot -
basically nothing much to worry about (despite all the shouting arguments
here saying that devfs breaks everything - it doesn't).

Regards,
Tigran