Re: devfs - why not ?

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Thu Apr 13 2000 - 16:27:47 EST

> I want mouse A to always be named mouse0, and mouse B to always be named
> mouse1, EVEN if I connect mouse B in first. It should be named mouse1
> and mouse0 should be empty.

If your mice dont have serial numbers you are screwed. You can get reasonably
nice behaviour by aggregation and the way Linus eventually settiled the
issue. Its annoying you cant as several people want to put 4 keyboards,
4 mice, 4 video cards on a Linux PC.

> But they are irrelevant. They don't solve the overall problem. You can
> keep naming these specific solutions, but they still don't solve the
> problem for every device.

The UUID problem solves problems bigger than local devices. I should be able
to mount by uuid and it find the volume be it mounted locally, remotely,
in a cd-changer. My Amiga500 could do most of this.

> For instance, the UUID solution doesn't solve the problem for
> filesystems which may not have UUID's, you've basically only solved it
> for ext2. Like Linus always says, "Think big".

Name an fs that doesnt have a signature of some sort, and isnt itself just
a network fs.

> I think that devfsd can be part of the solution, but it's far from it
> now.

That I agree on